This is a premier event in Canada on our evolving relationship with our second largest economic partner. Timely and informative, the conference looks at the opportunities and challenges from a Canadian perspective but also with significant Chinese participation.
The keynote speaker who kicks-off the conference is from China, and on each of the four panels is a panelist from China.
The four panels are:
One – Economic Potential: Strategic Partners?
Two – Energy Sector Partners: Realizing Opportunities
Three – Building Confidence: Security Challenges
Four – Managing Our Future: Outcomes
Speakers and panelists include:
- Ambassador Lu Shumin, Vice President of the Chinese People’s Institute of Foreign Affairs; former Chinese Ambassador to Canada
- Ray Boisvert, former Assistant Director, Canadian Security Intelligence Service
- Mark Bolger, Regional Manager Asia, Export Development Canada
- Madelaine Drohan, Journalist, Economist magazine
- Len Edwards, Strategic Advisor, Gowlings; Deputy Minister International Trade 2001-2004; Deputy Minister Foreign Affairs 2007-2010
- Fang Zhi, Vice President, China National Offshore Oil Corporation
- Hon. Bill Graham, Co-vice Chair of the Canadian International Council; former Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Senior Colonel Guo Xinning, Vice President, College of Defense Studies, National Defense University, PLA
- Peter Harder, President of the Canada-China Business Council; former Canadian Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Gordon Houlden, Director of the China Institute, University of Alberta
- Dr. Yukon Huang, Senior Associate, Carnegie Asia Program; World Bank’s country director for China 1997-2004
- Prof. Jia Qingguo, Associate Dean, School of International Studies, Peking University
- Michael Landry, Vice President, Manulife Financial
- Dr. James Manicom, Research Fellow, CIGI
- Hon. John Manley, President and CEO, Canadian Council of Chief Executives; Deputy Prime Minister 2002-3
- Pierre Pyun, Vice President, Bombardier
- Dr. Elinor Sloan, Carleton University
- Hugh Stephens, Executive in Residence, Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada; Senior Advisor for Asia Pacific, Time Warner Inc.; former Canadian Assistant Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Greg Stringham, Vice President, Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers
- Yuen Pau Woo, President and CEO of the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada
- Robert Wright, Canadian Ambassador to China 2005-2009; former Canadian Deputy Minister of International Trade
- Zhang Jianping, Director of the International Cooperation Department, Foreign Economic Research Institute of the National Development and Reform Commission
To download the Conference Agenda, click here.
There will not be a better opportunity in Canada this year to expose yourself to the opportunities in transition with China – a relationship which is imposing itself upon us and which deserves serious consideration. This is precisely the work of the Canadian International Council – a non-partisan, nationwide council established to strengthen Canada’s role in the world by advancing research and dialogue on international affairs.
We look forward to seeing you for a most stimulating day!
Registration: Advance registration and payment is required. Please register online.
Registration deadline is 5pm, Monday, March 18, 2013. Registration fees will be refunded if cancellation is made by this date. The CIC National Capital Branch reserves the right to deny registration by issuing a full refund.
Event Contact: email@example.com | 613-903-4011
Media Enquiries: Conference Chair, David Dyment | 613-301-2797